Colin Forbes Building - Reuniting our important rock collections under one roof

Much of the Sedgwick Museum’s working geological collections, central to the research of many in the department and wider community, are currently housed in cramped and difficult conditions in the Atlas Building on the West Cambridge site. This building, at one time used by Shorts for the refurbishment of aircraft bombers, is a rather dilapidated former commercial unit fast approaching the end of its useful life. The newly proposed Colin  Forbes Building will adjoin the A.G. Brighton Building (the Sedgwick Museum’s conservation unit and Archive) and vastly improve accessibility.

Support this project

If you would like to discuss how you might contribute to the Sedgwick Museum Collections Store, please contact Professor Simon Redfern, Head of Department.

To make a donation to the Sedgwick Museum Collections Store please visit our online giving page.

UK tax payers can use Gift Aid to make a donation worth more. For every pound you give, the department gains an extra 25 pence from HM Revenue and Customs, at no extra cost to yourself, this is of enormous benefit.


Previous
Updates
  • Breaking Ground - Construction of a new geological collections store at Madingley Rise started this morning, 22nd October 2018. The store will adjoin the A.G. Brighton Building and be known as the Colin Forbes Building. Construction work is expected to continue for 40 weeks. We will then start the immense task of moving over 100,000 specimens of rocks and fossils from the Atlas Building in west Cambridge. This is a hugely exciting development for the Sedgwick Museum and the Dept of Earth Sciences as it will bring together the hand specimens and corresponding thin sections of rocks under one roof. This includes the Harker, Sedgwick, Dawson and Svalbard collections. The scientific value of the world-renowned collections, which date back to the early 1800s, is immense both to current research and also to the history of science. We are sincerely grateful to the generous contributions from the Forbes Fund, CASP, the University of Cambridge and personal donations that have made this possible - Prof Sally A Gibson, Acting Director, Sedgwick Museum

  • 'A new geological store' - read about the background to the new build



On the 26th of February, 1918 the hospital ship HMHS Glenart Castle left Newport, South Wales, heading for Brest in France. On board were 63 nurses, medical orderlies and officers, along with its crew and 99 wounded patients. One of the medical officers on board was the 49 year-old Captain Lewis Moysey RAMC, a graduate of Caius College and very keen amateur geologist who donated a substantial collection of Carboniferous fossils to the Sedgwick Museum.



On Sunday September 9th Google’s banner headline in Australia (https://g.co/doodle/ytbdqa ) celebrated the 111th birthday of a palaeontologist – the late  Dorothy Hill (1907-1997).



Historic fossils from Agostino Scilla’s collection within the Sedgwick Museum’s Woodwardian cabinets are currently on display in the Royal Society’s summer exhibition in London. Called ‘Science made Visible: Drawings, Prints, Objects’, the exhibit explores the questions of how and when science become visual; how drawings, diagrams and charts came to be used alongside words and objects; who made them and what made them scientific?