Requests for specimen information
Our research collections are not currently available to search online. If you would like information about what we have please contact us and we can search our collections database and send you a list of relevant material. Not all of our collections are presently catalogued, but we will do our best to find the information you require. Please allow 20 working days for us to respond to your enquiry; completing your request may take longer.
General information about our different Museum collections can be found here.
- An online catalogue of our British type fossils is now available here. You can see photographs and 3D digital models of many of our fossils.
Some useful information you could provide to help us in our search for paleontology enquiries:
- Identification - With any synonyms or re-identifications you may be aware of.
- Specimen number – If known. Sometimes listed in publication with the prefix SM or CAMSM.
- Bibliographic reference – Author, date, title and name of publication if the specimen has been figured or mentioned.
- Geological dating – Chronostratigraphic, lithostratigraphic or biostratigraphic dating.
- Collector or Collection.
To request specimen information or for further details please contact us.
Monday to Friday
10:00 to 13:00 & 14:00 to 17:00Saturday
10:00 to 16:00 Sunday
Mar 23, 2017
A new hypothesis of dinosaur relationships and early dinosaur evolution
Mar 22, 2017
Celebrating the 100th birthday of Walter Brian Harland (1917-2003) Wednesday 22nd March: Visit our online Archive gallery